GTX 1080 is the most powerful graphics card released by Nvidia. This can run any game with superior-quality graphics and high definition sound effects. It is considered the most reliable and visually striking GPU by gamers.
For enjoying these features, you require a reliable power supply. A low power supply can cause power overdraw and damage to your devices. Whereas, too much wattage means a waste of money.
Finding the perfect power supply for enhancing the performance of your gtx 1080 can be challenging. Therefore, we have reviewed the 7 best power supply for gtx 1080.
Table of Contents
- 1 At A Glance: List of the Best Power Supply for GTX 1080
- 2 How To Choose The Right Power Supply for gtx 1080
- 3 7 Best power supply for GTX 1080 Reviews
- 3.1 Perfect high temperatures: Corsair CX CP-9020102 Power Supply
- 3.2 Best silent: CORSAIR HX750i Series Power Supply
- 3.3 Best Power efficiency: EVGA 220-P2-0650-X1 Power Supply
- 3.4 Best compact: Seasonic FOCUS Plus SSR-750PX Power Supply
- 3.5 Zero Noise: Thermaltake Smart BX1 Power Supply
- 3.6 Best Compact Size: Corsair RM750x Power Supply
- 3.7 Best Budget: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold SSR-550FX Power Supply
- 3.8 Related Questions
- 4 Conclusion
At A Glance: List of the Best Power Supply for GTX 1080
- Perfect high temperatures: Corsair CX CP-9020102 Power Supply
- Best silent: CORSAIR HX750i Series Power Supply
- Best Power efficiency: EVGA 220-P2-0650-X1 Power Supply
- Best compact: Seasonic FOCUS Plus SSR-750PX Power Supply
- Zero Noise: Thermaltake Smart BX1 Power Supply
- Best Compact Size: Corsair RM750x Power Supply
- Best Budget: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold SSR-550FX Power Supply
How To Choose The Right Power Supply for gtx 1080
Finding the right power supply is very crucial as a wrong PSU can cause irreversible damage to your devices. Therefore, check out these key factors for choosing the best power supply for gtx 1080.
Power Supply Outlets
This solely depends on what type of outlet your power source uses. Few sources feature single input/output. Some others provide multiple input/outputs.
For a large setup, you will need many input/outputs that can run into an AC unit. If your setup is small, one outlet will be enough.
Power Supply Types
There are full, semi, and non-modular power supplies available now. Each type provides different features. Non-modular power supplies are the cheapest and they come with all of the cables attached to the supply box.
The semi-modular power supplies are great because they are cheaper than the full modular ones. But they provide the same ease of use and customization features. If you need maximum customization of the cables, choose the full modular ones as every cable is removable in this type.
Power Supply Wattage
Most PCs do not require a huge power supply. Therefore, consider the fact that a bigger power supply poses the risk of overkill and may damage your hardware. A 500W-650W PSU will be more than enough for most systems.
The main form factor of every CPU is either ATX/Eps or SFX/SFF.
The SFX or “smaller form factor” is created for running smaller PC’s smoothly and effectively without an accident. On the other hand, ATX is the standard size PC’s and they can be used with almost all the processors.
The higher efficiency rating of a power supply unit means it minimizes power wastage effectively. Also, it reduces less electricity wastage as excess heat. Therefore, check the efficiency rating of the PSU before buying.
Read on to find the most compatible power supply for your gtx 1080.
7 Best power supply for GTX 1080 Reviews
Finding the best power supply for gtx 1080 will make your gaming experience smooth and uninterrupted. However, choosing the right one from hundreds of different varieties can be a little difficult.
Therefore, check out our reviews to know about the 7 best power suppliesavailable for gtx 1080.
Perfect high temperatures: Corsair CX CP-9020102 Power Supply
If you are considering a semi-modular power supply, then check out the Corsair CX Series Power Supply. This model can be rated up to 550 Watts which is perfect for the gtx 1080. Also, this is the best power supply that is both semi-modular and supports four versions of the ATX12V.
Another great feature of this power supply is that it can run effectively at high temperatures. This machine also runs pretty quietly. What’s more, this sleek design supports modular cabling and is very easy to install.
Corsair CX CP-9020102 Power Supply Features:
- This power supply can run properly even at 40 degrees.
- This machine supports both ATX12V and EPS12V standards.
- It comes with a five years warranty.
- The 4.72-inch fan is thermally controlled.
- This PSU is 80 Plus bronze certified.
- Smart design ensures that the fan runs quietly
- Runs with high power efficiency
- Made with eco-friendly material
- Produces less heat
- Low operating cost
- Has durability issues
Best silent: CORSAIR HX750i Series Power Supply
The CORSAIR HX750i is another reliable power supply for the gtx 1080 ports. One great feature of this power supply is the 92% power efficiency it provides. You will surely enjoy the low-noise fans and modular design.
This product comes with a ten years warranty for ending worries about durability. It has fully modular and low profile cable sets. What’s more, the Japanese high-efficiency capacitors provide smooth running at over 100 degrees Celsius.
CORSAIR HX750i Series Features:
- This power supply has 80 Plus Platinum certification for efficiency.
- This PSU includes Japanese 105 degrees capacitors for high reliability.
- It can be rated up to 750 Watts.
- This model has a ZeroRPM feature for noiseless performance.
- The fan has a self-test switch for confirming operation during installation.
- Provides reliable and continuous power supply
- Allows precise voltage control
- Fan less operation at low loads
- Minimized coil whine
- Easy cable management
- Malfunctions while running
Best Power efficiency: EVGA 220-P2-0650-X1 Power Supply
The fully modular EVGA 220-P2-0650-X1 Power Supply provides up to 650 Watts power. This is suitable for the gtx 1080 power supply connectors’ ideal power requirement. Its durability is ensured by the authentic Japanese capacitors.
Another unique feature of this power supply is the adjustable fan system. With this innovative controlling system, the fan noise can be reduced to almost zero. The fully modular cables ensure extended reliability and efficient performance.
EVGA 220-P2-0650-X1 Power Supply Features:
- This PSU features a fan system that is ECO controlled.
- It provides 94% power efficiency.
- The system is 80 Plus Platinum rated.
- The ECO control fan system provides improved airflow.
- This produces zero noise during low to medium load performance.
- Modular cables reduce clutter
- Has labels for the cables on the terminal
- Comes with a long warranty.
- Includes a self tester
- Completely braided cables
- ECO mode glitches while gaming
Best compact: Seasonic FOCUS Plus SSR-750PX Power Supply
The three-level thermal control system distinguishes the Seasonic FOCUS Plus SSR-750PX Power Supply from others. This three-stage thermal control ensures the optimum balance between noise reduction and cooling feature.
This 140mm power supply is both portable and energy-efficient. Moreover, it provides a significantly greater power ratio than it’s size. If you are looking for a compact yet high-performance PSU for your gtx 1080, this is a great option.
Seasonic FOCUS Plus SSR-750PX Features:
- This power supply presents a 90% yield at 20% load.
- This incorporates a modular ATX energy supplier.
- It has a fanless, silent, and cooling mode for thermal control.
- There are no in-cable capacitors.
- This has ETA-A certification for performance.
- Build quality is extraordinary
- Small dimensions increase the portability of the PSU
- Ensures stable connection
- Semi-passive performance can be selected
- Provides improved ventilation due to modular cables
- The hexagon grill of the fan can be restrictive
Zero Noise: Thermaltake Smart BX1 Power Supply
The Thermaltake Smart BX1 Power Supply has tons of unique features like the one-button RGB controller. This button on the back of the PSU can generate sixteen different light modes. Moreover, the hydraulic bearing fan provides zero noise with efficient cooling.
The BX1 RGB series saves maximum energy as it has optimized to work with all Intel processors. It also has a built-in memory for remembering your light modes. Lastly, Thermaltake presents a pretty long warranty period.
Thermaltake Smart BX1 Power Supply Features:
- The fan in this power supply is 10 RGB.
- This power supply can operate at 100-240V.
- The lighting modes include a pulse mode, RGB cycle, full light and LED off.
- The fan has RPM control for better cooling performance.
- It grants a five years warranty.
- Provides constant power supply
- Zero noise production by the fan
- RGB lights are included in the power supply
- Cable connection is easier
- Provides 85% efficiency
- Wires need better insulation
Best Compact Size: Corsair RM750x Power Supply
The Corsair RM750x Power Supply is 80 Plus Gold certified. This power supply allows easier cable management due to modular cables. Moreover, the braided cables allow efficient PC building and upgrading of this PSU.
This PSU holds more power than your gtx will ever need. The Gold Plus certification ensures that no access heat will be produced. Despite providing large amounts of power this comes in a compact size.
Corsair RM750x Features:
- This power supply ensures lower power usage.
- It has a ZeroRPM fan that turns on only when necessary.
- This features a unique fan curve for low noise.
- It has a compact 160 mm casing.
- It provides a stable supply at 50 degrees Celsius.
- Can hold high amounts of power
- No excess heat production
- Built from premium components
- Low noise performance even at full load
- Completely silent fan available at low load only
Best Budget: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold SSR-550FX Power Supply
If you are looking for a power supply with minimum power wastage, then consider the Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold SSR-550FX Power Supply. This 140mm PSU gets 90% power efficiency at half of the system’s load. That means it doesn’t produce excess heat and minimizes power wastage.
The fact that the fan doesn’t turn on before 30% load, proves that it minimizes power loss. The three-level fan also becomes long-lasting due to fewer rotations. Moreover, the lubricant oil ensures less friction and more power savings.
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold SSR-550FX Features:
- The cables are fully modular.
- This power supply features a hybrid silent fan control.
- It shows 87% efficiency on full load.
- This PSU supports ATX12V and EPS12V.
- The FDB fan is 120mm.
- Gold increases the durability of the power supply
- Higher power output to size ratio
- Cables produce less clutter
- High efficiency even on highest load
- Comes with 10 years warranty
- Gold plated connectors strain the CPU
All these products might have left you with some queries. Therefore, we will address a few of the general questions that you might have.
1. Will a 550W power supply be suitable for gtx 1080?
This depends on your system. Calculate the exact amount of power your setup needs to determine what type of PSU will suit your system
2. Can I play high definition games on the gtx 1080?
Despite this graphics card being old, it is still one of the most powerful ones and can run high-quality gaming exceptionally well.
3. What is the power consumption of the gtx 1080?
The power consumption relies on the brand. Generally, it can consume about 180-watt while gaming and seven to eight watts while idle.
4. Can I use a 600 Watts PSU for gtx 1080?
It should be more than enough power for the gtx. However, You can use a “600 Watts PSU for gtx 1080″ depends on other parts of the PC too.
5. What happens when power is not enough for the gtx 1080 card?
Your screen will glitch a lot if your card doesn’t get enough power. Your PC might shut down due to a power shortage and the PSU can get damaged too.
6. Can I check the power supply wattage without opening it?
Yes, you can. Go check the producer’s website for finding the watts. After entering your PC specifications you will be able to see your PSU specifications there.
7. What does Universal Power Supply mean?
The universal power supply is the principal part of any electrical system. It is necessary for powering everything.
For finding the right PSU for your gtx 1080, you must consider other components of your setup. They play a significant role in determining what power supply you need. Before making your choice, decide which features are important to you.
Hopefully, with our review of the 7 best power supply for gtx 1080, you will find your ideal PSU. All the PSU’s mentioned here feature high power efficiency and innovative cooling features. However, in our opinion, the Corsair CX CP-9020102 Power Supplyis the best for enhancing your gaming experience.